With your help the people of West Africa have "a chance, not only to change their own lives and their own destinies, but to change the future of an entire generation".

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Interview with Audrey Biney....

Audrey has been a local volunteer with mom and us a fantastic support, often chugging away behind the scenes making things happen... Lets find out some more about her...

--How long have you been involved with MoM?

My initial contact with MoM was back in March 2010. We were approached by Jonathan and Patricia in the Accra Mall when they expressed interest in getting Isabella (my daughter, who was then only 2 years old) involved in the upcoming "Fly me day". During our conversation, they both spoke of MoM and I knew immediately I wanted to be involved.

--What is your role within MoM?

My role really is as a health educator and to lend support/assistance in other areas wherever/whenever required (i.e. translating, attending meetings, etc…) More recently though, I’ve been actively participating in the INSCI programme and the Fulani Outreach.

--What was it that drew you to become involved with MoM?

Good question. I relocated to Ghana over 3 years ago from the UK, but even before we had made the decision to come to Ghana I had always said I would love to have the opportunity to do something like this. I really wanted to be able to give back to society where the rewards are not necessarily monetary. I envisaged myself on so many occasions working in rural communities and villages and doing some sort of outreach work. So within me, I was already looking for an opportunity like this and there are so many NGOs out there but I liked the vision of MoM and the people involved.

--What have you enjoyed most about your work with MoM so far?

Definitely the interaction with the communities and seeing the impact that our work has on their lives, not only now but in the future! It is also a very humbling experience for me and it teaches me to not take so much for granted and to be truly thankful to God for what I have and what I have achieved in life so far.

It has also brought me into contact so many wonderful people from all over the world like the volunteers of MoM who have a passion and dedication for what they do.

Do you have any advice for others who would like to contribute to MoM's growth?

I would say “Do it!” It is one of the most amazing and rewarding things you can do with your life and you cannot put a monetary value on the rewards you receive. You could be changing lives in ways you couldn't even imagine. There are many ways to contribute even if you don't have the time to spare to come out as a volunteer...so I would say, please just do something!

No comments:

Post a Comment